One-to-One Tuition and Mentoring
We offer specialist tuition for children and young people with learning difficulties. The one-to-one sessions are delivered by qualified specialist dyslexia teachers in a suitable setting, both in person and remotely. If we come to you, we may charge a little extra for travel, but we will discuss this with you during the booking process.
Adults and children can access specialist dyslexia teacher and mentoring support. We give individual attention and ensure the pace of learning suits the student. We focus the support on the areas that need improvement by utilizing the individual strengths, learning style and existing coping strategies. The specialist support is based on a tailored Individual Learning Plan (ILP) developed after the initial evaluation of the student’s needs and strengths and established goals.
We use a range of effective multisensory techniques focusing on:
- Reading – reading accuracy, speed, fluency and comprehension
- Writing – handwriting neatness, fluency and style, writing speed, content and technical accuracy
- Grammar and specialist vocabulary
- Listening skills
- Auditory processing skills
- Short term memory
- Phonological awareness
- Study Skills and revision techniques
- Organisation and time management
- Communication skills
- Problem solving
- Employability skills
We use recognised interventions to support individual needs, including Alpha to Omega and Active Literacy Kit by Dyslexia Action. The Alpha to Omega programme offers practical help in teaching reading, writing and spelling to adults and children with learning difficulties, including dyslexia. It is a carefully structured programme which closely follows the normal pattern of phonological language acquisition. The Active Literacy Kit is designed to support all children aged 7 years and over who experience literacy difficulties, whether dyslexic or not. The programme offers a series of timed exercises which build the foundation skills needed for automatic, fluent and accurate reading and spelling. Carefully structured activities cover phonological awareness, word recognition, phonics, graphic knowledge and spelling.
We can work with your school or college by designing a framework of intervention, which can be reinforced by teachers/teaching assistants following a short, free training session with us. You can take your child out of school for tuition if agreed with the school. This is classed as an ‘approved educational activity’ which will not affect attendance figures.
Dyslexia Tutor for Adults
We can work with your employer to build up a profile of your strengths and weaknesses and design a framework of intervention to support your personal needs.
- Pre-teaching consultation is £60. During this time we will conduct assessments to find out the students’ current attainments
- One-to-one specialist tuition is £40 per hour for students up to year 12
- One-to-one study skills support is £45 per hour for students in higher or further education
- One-to-one specialist tuition is £45 for adults
Contact us for more information on our dyslexia tutoring